Fun With Geneaology: Bess of Hardwick
Genealogical Relationship: 13th Great-grandmother via maternal side, descended through her son, Sir Henry Cavendish.
- b. July 27, 1527 – d. Feb 13, 1608.
- Born Elizabeth Hardwick but famously known as Bess of Hardwick.
- The second richest woman behind Queen Elizabeth I in Elizabethian England.
- Confidant to Queen Elizabeth I until their relationship soured.
- Tasked as keeper for Mary Queen of Scots when she was imprisoned by her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I.
- Married four times and became the Countess of Shrewsbury.
- Her granddaughter, Arabella Stewart, was considered the primary successor to the throne before members of Elizabeth’s court began to favor James, son of Mary Queen of Scots, instead.
- 10x Great-grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II, which makes the Queen my 11th cousin 3x removed.
You can read more about her here: